Revell gears and Tamiya Fine

Squeezing out those last few tenths
Ventura Alfa
Spectator

Revell gears and Tamiya Fine

Post by Ventura Alfa »

Hello Everybody,

My first post on this board,

I have several of the Revell stock cars and a couple of them have very noisy gears.

There was a suggestion in one of the reviews on the Ned Jarrett car about using "Tamiya Fine" on the gears. What exactly is that and does anybody have any other suggestions for quieting the gears?

Thanks,
Ventura Alfa
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Revell gears and Tamiya Fine

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Ventura,

Tamiya fine is a polishing compound available from hobby stores that sell Tamiya products. It acts like a fine grinding paste and should be used in moderation. With the body off, clean the pinion and spur, add a good amount of polishing paste and run at about half throttle for a couple of minutes. Too fast and it will throw the paste off. Repeat two or three times then wash off with water, blow dry the gears and add a little Vaseline. You can try adding a little Vaseline to the paste, this will help it cling to the gears but will need a spirit based cleaner (Turpentine, methylated spirits or other hydrocarbon)to remove it all.

It has about a ninety percent success rate with inline (crown) gears and a little less with sidewinder (spur) gears. The Revell Classic NASCARS can be particularly noisy and a partial reduction in noise is the best you can hope for. If you overdo it the gears will become noisy once more. Spur gears by nature are noisier than in line gears and cars like Scalextric and Fly (with sidewinders) will always have a distinctive whine. It will be up to you to decide what is an acceptable level of noise. Replacement gears like Slot.Its can be just as noisy too.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!