The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Is sanding enough??!!??

Squeezing out those last few tenths
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Is sanding enough??!!??

Post by wixwacing »

Up until very recently I have trued and sanded tyres in a dummy axle in a drill stand or on the car. I get good results, and without blowing my own trumpet, I get some good race results in stiff competition from people twenty years and more younger than me!! But since I have been racing on the southside, friend Greg has made his tyre truer available for use. I have seen one at Eggy's place and although an impressive piece of kit, I wasn't convinced that it would improve results that much over well sanded tyres. Well, just let me say that if you aren't using an 'off car' tyre truer, then you are just not going to make it (unless your name is Paul of course)!. I have trued tyres on axles that I though had nothing wrong with them and then gone on to take several tenths off lap times.

But, the first thing we do is true the hubs, THEN we refit the tyres and true them. The reason this is done is to allow a tyre change with the minimum of drama. Some will say pish! and that all tyres have to be glued and trued, I disagree!! We race on Scaley track, Ninco track, Carrera, Ferrador with magnabraid, paint with magnabraid and straight forward non magnet board. Both short tracks and long. I have found there is no one tyre that does all these surface so do we carry a set of axles with glued tyres for all these tracks? Mmmm? Do we carry several models to cover all these tracks Uh! Uh! If we make sure the wheels are as round as we can get them, we can safely change tyres pre-trued from track to track. Most of my race cars I now carry about in the display boxes, and as well as the model, in those boxes are a small selection of trued back tyres for that model, ready to go whatever the surface. So, if you have access to an off car tyre truer, my advice is to use it, the transformation takes some believing!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!