The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Loss of performance

Squeezing out those last few tenths
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Loss of performance

Post by wixwacing »

I recently decided to give this model (Scaley Xanavi Nismo) a bit of an airing as it hadn't been out of the box for a couple of years. So I trotted off to my local track and placed it ready to go in the lane. After a few laps running it there was a marked change in performance, especially in left hand corners. This model comes with stationary brake detail which is quite novel, and even though you can't see the effect of it while the car is in motion, it was a good idea anyway. Well. First thoughts were that the brake detail in some way was fouling some of the moving parts so I decided to take it apart and check it out. I had already removed one wheel and was contemplating the removal of the other when I noticed some rubbing marks on the side of the drivers tray on the pylons which hold the axle bushes in when it is assembled. Sure enough, the amount of rubber inside the model indicated that there was something majorly amiss and after placing the axle back in the model, side play was tested and the inside edge of the right hand tyre was rubbing quite significantly against the drivers tray. This was attributable to the increase in sideplay of the axle as the model became more and more worn. Something which had virtually 'crept up' on the model during its period of use. I decided to put a 'Wixwacing' split shim on the offending side, clean out the rubber and reassembled the model.... problem solved. The model once again has its old turn of speed and I look forward to racing it at the next 'magnet' opportunity!!

A worn tyre sidewall and rubber debris

Point of contact on the axle bush retainer

split shim in place

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!