The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Fly Viper Loose front wheels?

How DO they do that??
Waynew
Spectator

Fly Viper Loose front wheels?

Post by Waynew »

Hi Guys, I am trying to sort out a new Fly Dodge Viper my brother purchased last week. I is a front engined car, the 2 things that are terrible on it are, the driveshaft bush keeps coming out and this has already chewed up 1 rear gear, and the front wheels are on some sort of separate pin each side that keeps loosening and the front tyres are getting stuck in the front guards and chewing them apart.
I assume glueing the bush in for the driveshaft may cure that problem, but I am not sure about the front wheels.
Has anyone had this problem with a fly model?
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Fly Viper Loose front wheels?

Post by kenneth »

I don`t have a Fly viper here to check to see if this is an option with the front motor mount and if it will interfere with the axle, but on other FLY cars with a rear mount motor is to fit a full width solid axle on the front wheels.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Waynew
Spectator

Post by Waynew »

Hi Ken,
Yes the motor is in the way to put a solid axle in place.
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

Try glueing the pins into the wheels, it should stop them from getting loose and sloppy. make sure there is enough space to the hub to spin freely but not push up to the wheel arch.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Waynew wrote:Hi Guys, I am trying to sort out a new Fly Dodge Viper my brother purchased last week. I is a front engined car, the 2 things that are terrible on it are, the driveshaft bush keeps coming out and this has already chewed up 1 rear gear, and the front wheels are on some sort of separate pin each side that keeps loosening and the front tyres are getting stuck in the front guards and chewing them apart.
I assume glueing the bush in for the driveshaft may cure that problem, but I am not sure about the front wheels.
Has anyone had this problem with a fly model?
The driveshaft bush can be kept in place with a small bit of superglue, just be careful to not let it get onto the driveshaft itself. Problem will be solved. Be warned all the same if you're giving it any throttle when being put back on the track, as it can provide enough of a jolt to throw the bushing out of the spot it sits.

Front wheels, if you're keen about it, you'll probably end up painting with a nail polish or something so they provide no grip whatsoever.

Other than that, what Jordan said about a bit of glue on the pins into the wheels, just have to be very very careful about it as well.
The Racer Administrator
Waynew
Spectator

Post by Waynew »

Superglued the front wheels to the little stub axles and worked ok, Super glued the driveshaft bush in place carefully, cleaned all surfaces with shellite, 6 laps of Red Racer's track and the shaft came out again. All I can say is for a $100 car, it is a piece of crap!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Are you running the body screws loose? Some models have an internal post which comes down from the drivers tray and presses on the bush when the body halves are screwed together. This post doesn't do its job if the body is loose and superglue might not be enough to hold it on a track like Red Racer's?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Waynew
Spectator

Post by Waynew »

Hi Phil, Yes body screws are loose. I took it for another run the other day after re-glueing the driveshaft bush back in, it seemed to hold together this time, 1/2 a dozen laps later a rear wheel came off! Give me a $50 Scaley any day :oops: