The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Race management system gliches

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Race management system gliches

Post by wixwacing »

We recently had an unusual glitch at a recent race meeting. The computer program decided it was going to spasmodically recognise signals from the on track components. A test of these components showed them to be ok and wiring to be complete and conductive. Eventually the fault was traced to a line plug which I use in my modular hardware systems. The relay board is connected to the rest of the components by header connectors. These are miniature plugs which allow ease of assembly and disassembly. The problem in question was on a shed located track but which still had low exposure to humidity and ambient conditions. The pins on the headers look to be zinc plated and with age and prevailing weather conditions the pins have developed an oxidised layer which has reduced conductivity. Causing a signal drop below readable levels.

The solution was to apply some electrical cleaner and a moisture dispersant, but maybe it would be best to apply a smear of electrical grade protective grease on initial assembly.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!