The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Professor Motor PM2110 controllers

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Professor Motor PM2110 controllers

Post by wixwacing »

Like a few guys locally, I have purchased a Prof. Motor controller for local racing. The plus side is that it encompasses the attributes of several controllers for the one unit. It has a brake adjustment and a sensitivity pot. Up until now it has performed impeccably and faultlessly, but I was becoming concerned about the number of guys who's controllers were playing up. Finally, this weekend, my controller started to show symptoms similar to others that had been reported.

The first one was the unit was becoming hot near the sensitivity pot, a more noticeable problem was the car not slowing effectively and sensitivity diminished, and finally, the model track speed can be controlled by twisting the sensitivity pot, without any trigger application! There have been several rumours as to what the fix might be, from replacing the power transistor to replacement of either or both pots. A bit daunted by this I dashed off an email to Professor motor to get their input.

I received a very prompt and courteous reply which was helpful. They have suggested that there is no one problem that it might be but highlighted the fact that there were two very important guides to follow with this model number. The first is not to use this model (PM 2110) with tuned or high powered / current motors. It is rated for 12 to 15 volts. Guilty! and the second is that the controller has to be serviced regularly, i.e. remove the covers and clean all the accumulated dust and rubbish from the circuit board and semi conductors (guilty again). This dust can bridge the circuitry. It is also essential that nothing except the recommended lubricant must be used on any part of the controller, especially the wiper arm and contact surfaces.

My controller returned to normal after cooling down but some more laps showed the transistor was heating up again. So when I returned home I removed the casings and sure enough, there was dirt on the circuitry and even some fine spider's webbing!! I have cleaned and lubed the controller and will be trying it again soon. Hopefully the cure is complete, but time will tell. I may even review how the controller is transported from meeting to meeting! Check out the following links :

Professor Motor spares

PM 2110 service instructions

PM do offer a repair service, you will need to contact them at :

Professor Motor Team Support
32104 Plymouth Rd.
Livonia, Michigan 48150
Office # 734.462.4226| Fax # 734.462.4211
Lightning Speedway | Retail # 734.462.1700
http://www.professormotor.com | http://www.lightningspeedway.com

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Professor Motor PM2110 controllers

Post by wixwacing »

I'm pleased to say that after giving the controller a good clean out, it's fautless operation has been restored. As the controller doesn't fit into my race box I have decided to take alternate measures to reduce the risk of further dust ingress. Hopefully when not in use, a heavy duty resealable bag will do the trick from now on!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Phil,

What did you use as the lubricant for the wiper arm. I know it says something about a pfte silcon or something.

Regards

Egg
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Eggmeister wrote:Phil,

What did you use as the lubricant for the wiper arm. I know it says something about a pfte silcon or something.

Regards

Egg
Eggy - I've got a spray on PTFE lube that I got from Jaycar, it's useless.

I actually put a little bit of voodoo juice in front of the wiper arm and just cycle it through a couple of times, makes it smooth as anything to use.

:)
The Racer Administrator
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

ok not sure this is the right thread but I have a question .
Does any one know which way the switch in a dual polarity Professor Motor controller goes for a Neg track UP or DOWN ,I cant find the Controller on any sites no numbers on it ,Dont want to blow it before its even used .
It may have had options added by last owner.Its got a polatrity switch with lights yellow and green WTF a knob probably brakes as well as 8 knobs for sensativity .I found out how they work .
I think when you plug it in the lights tell you the pollarity of track but I got no idea what yellow or green mean ,Id of thought maybe Red and Blue .its got no instrutions its second hand desceased estate .if I need pictures I can take em.thanks
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Ok my controller works
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Can a controler loose its breaking ,mine seems to have a delay to breaking that I dont like.I m sure I read somewhere they put a Cap or resistor in the breaking system to slow the breaking sensitivity.I cant find where I read it now.Any help or advice would be appreciated.