The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Removing plastic welded interiors, lights, etc?

How DO they do that??
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Removing plastic welded interiors, lights, etc?

Post by Cyph »

Hey guys, just wondering what the normal procedure for removing plastic welded interiors, lights, etc is.

Is the best method to generally just use a soldering iron, hold it near the plastic I want to 'unweld', and then remove it?

I've got a Ninco Supra here that I want to repaint (and even my Fly Venturi that came in that horrid yellow Shell livery, lol :P ), but just aren't sure how to remove the interiors.

Cheers,

Rob
The Racer Administrator
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Removing plastic welded interiors, lights, etc?

Post by kenneth »

i use a small flat hobby blade or sharpened flat screwdriver to scrape off the melted bits on the underside - mainly because i will more than likely melt more than what needs to if i use heat. I have done this with the interior of a ninco 356 & others - came out treat and went back in fine.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Sounds more than logical there Jordan.

Now, if I could only decide what colours to paint these cars.... :)
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob
Jordan has it about right. The hot soldering iron is fine for door mirrors and rear wings of models you are going to race but the multi rivetted drivers trays need something more. If you trim round the weld with a modelers knife you will leave a bit of the centre pin behind which will come in handy when it comes to refixing the tray!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

wixwacing wrote:you will leave a bit of the centre pin behind which will come in handy when it comes to refixing the tray
Thats what happens - it`s good to have some guides from the left over pin bit when replacing them.
Same goes for headlights.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche