A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

How on earth do you mount these vac formed windows etc

How DO they do that??
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

How on earth do you mount these vac formed windows etc

Post by Cyph »

Gday all,

Got my hands on a little project here, little curious as to how on earth you go about mounting the vac formed windows though, where you're meant to trim it etc.

Any tips from anyone?

Cheers,

Rob
The Racer Administrator
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: How on earth do you mount these vac formed windows etc

Post by kenneth »

on the bits that you can hide under the body use a clear windows cement/glue - testors make one that is actually uses to make windows on model planes, it dries clear, i`ve used it on all my clear bits on kits like headlight covers, windows etc. i think it is called clear window cement.
You could also use an enamel clear to glue them in, just don`t get any on your fingers and touch clear bits that are exposed to viewing like windscreens etc.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob,
Depending on how good a fit they are in one piece, it might be necessary to cut each window out separately and mount them that way. Is this for a resin or a plastic body?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

resin body.

I've already looked over the body of the slotcar and trimmed off all the excess flash, got rid of mould lines etc, and given it a good bath in some luke warm (because i don't want it to warp by chance) water with a big squirt of dishwashing detergent in it to get rid of the release agent, so that side of things is under control.

Just yeah, figuring out these windows is driving me a little bit nuts. lol.

Cutting them all out sounds reasonable, if a little finicky... I imagine I'd have to leave some room around the actual window itself (like extra plastic) in order for it to have some spot to be glued on?

Other than that, I'm having fun :)
The Racer Administrator