The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Decal challenge

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Decal challenge

Post by wixwacing »

Good friend Kenneth recently gave me my hardest decal challenge to date. The number 26 Porsche GT1. Jordan is becoming a competent scratchbuilder in his own right and when he asked me to decorate the model for him I didn't smell a rat. The decals are, to say the least, testing. They need to spread over a large area in three dimensions. The biggest drawback is the fact that they are Patto's decals, not that there is anything wrong with that, but they are somewhat thin and don't take too much handling.

The secret was to trim as much waste off the decal as possible. It is easier to get a curve in a thin decal than a fat one. Next, I consider it legitimate to cut large decals in two or even three pieces. Especially where the body curves change direction. All three pieces are applied to the model and jockeyed into position before tamping the extra moisture from them. With shorter decals I might even cut into the decal where the curves are to allow the decal to flex a bit more, but be warned. Handling the decals too much after they have been applied will see them disintegrate.

There must be approacing fifty separate decals on this model!!

I would normally give the decals a coat of clear acrylic before applying them, but because of the difficulties, I bought a can of proprietry decal bonder and coated the sheet lightly before cutting. All the coating processes were allowed to dry for a day before handling.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Re: Decal challenge

Post by yankfaraway »

WOW! I recently posted my latest on another forum, talking about how hard the decalling was. I'm ashamed to say how much easier it was that that! Good job!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Decal challenge

Post by kenneth »

I am deeply grateful for your generous gesture in doing that model for me Phil.
I would still be doing it, and more than likely wishing i had never started it.
So thank you very much.
It will make a great companion to the #25 i have.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche