A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Metho - a great paint stripper

How DO they do that??
kenneth
Team Strategist

Metho - a great paint stripper

Post by kenneth »

HI Guys
Just thought i`d let you know i have just stripped a Ninco Porsche Carrera Americana - the Guatmela 356 to bare in 1 hr by leaving it in metho and scrubbing away at it with a tooth brush - clean as a whistle and no adverse affects on the body.
Now the repaint job, it will be painted sky blue with the 1955 550 Spyder Carrera Panamericana decals as per the 550 ninco released last year.
now that you are all horrified - i will show it off at Als on Saturday.
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Metho - a great paint stripper

Post by wixwacing »

Well done Jordan, I've got a couple of `stubborn' models to approach yet!! Thanks for the tip

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Wonderful advice.

I'm going to start repainting a few of my cars :D
The Racer Administrator
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

Im just useing easy off oven cleaner on my SCX cars,not nice to use make sure you have gloves,face mask and goggles,just spray it and put it in a zip lock bag for a few days.Then I use a green brillo pad and a toothbrush for tricky places,repeat till its done.Had no luck with metho at all.
SpeedyNH
Spectator

Post by SpeedyNH »

what's metho? methyl alcohol?
speedy
sunbeammadd
Spectator

Post by sunbeammadd »

It's called methylated spirits in Australia, but no doubt has other names around the globe.
SpeedyNH
Spectator

Post by SpeedyNH »

maybe it's "mineral spirits", which we mostly use here for cleaning oil-based house paint. i'll have to look at a can.
gee, i didn't realize that this forum was based in the land of OZ! nice to meet you guys! we hear good things about you.
thanks for answering what must have seemed like a dumb question.
regards,
speedy
Merrimack, NH, USA
sunbeammadd
Spectator

Post by sunbeammadd »

Looks as though it may be called denatured alcohol in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Glad to be of help!
dangermouse
Engine Tech

Post by dangermouse »

Don't use mineral spirits for this - especially if it is what we call turps - or mineral turpentine - it is good for cleaning oli paint but pretty nasty on a lot of things slot related.

DM
SpeedyNH
Spectator

Post by SpeedyNH »

ok
but i always thought mineral spirits was pretty mild stuff.
anyway i think i 've figured out that metho is methyl alcohol.
denny
Engine Tech

Post by denny »

DETTOL ,Ok I read about this stuff online .I looked for months then I discovered they meant just old fashion DETTOL antiseptic .I couldn't believe it .50/50 with water it works fantastic .I just put the mixture in a plastic Chinese meal container and leave it over night. I slowly worked up to this with every new brand just incase ,some take longer to strip than others .But it starts to work in under an Hour.I use a hard tooth brush to get into the grooves and panel lines.
So far ive stripped factory paint off Avant, Slot it. Fly, Ninco. still doing an old scaley Mini might need some caustic to finish .Some get a little gummy ,I stripped that of by rinsing them in caustic soda.Ive stripped Tamiya paint and Testors paint of as well .It doesn't do well with Tamiya Polycarb though. works great on Old plastic models too.
I have 1 old AMT kit melt slightly but I remember using a Turps mix on it so I could just be that.
Coles sell a large 750 mil bottle for under $10 , DETTOL (Antiseptic Disinfectant Household grade ) with the cleaning products .don't look in the medical cost you that much for a little bottle.