The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Teamslot Quattro 4WD upgrade

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Teamslot Quattro 4WD upgrade

Post by wixwacing »

I’ve had the Teamslot Audi Quattro for a little while now and I keep it in my race box. It gets a run most places I take it and it’s set up for painted board track racing. It’s a quick car and it required a lot of work to get it into race trim but I still wasn’t fully happy with it’s track performance.

Straight line speed is fine, in actual fact it is probably too quick for most tracks. But it still needed something in the corner department. Cornering since I fitted SCX tyres is pretty good but I still got the impression that if it had a genuinely useful four wheel drive set up then it would improve.

The first step towards this was to buy a Ninco 4wd kit. This contained a couple of pulleys and a couple of belt varieties. I also bought the belt pack which contains two pairs of belts of different lengths. The pulleys were different diameters to the standard Teamslot pulleys which are part of the wheel assembly.

I decided to put the Ninco pulleys to the front and run the Teamslot wheels/pulleys at the rear. The reason for this is that the Teamslot tyres on the front are a slightly smaller diameter than the SCX rears. By putting the smaller Ninco pulleys to the front it would cause the front axle to ‘overdrive’ ie, turn faster than the rear. I like this to happen on a conventional 4wd as the fronts then work harder and the rears don’t have to ‘snow plough’ the fronts. I usually fit new tyres to the front and let these slightly larger diameter tyres work the model.

The Ninco pulleys had to be bored out to fit over the Teamslot hubs. This wasn’t too difficult and I finally glued the pulleys to the hubs with ABS solvent.
Next I fitted the Ninco drive bands. These are a good fit and are not too tight. By turning the front axle, you can, in turn, turn the rear axle and consequently the motor. This indicates to me that the fronts will actually be sharing the work.

Finally after all had dried, it was time to visit Red lane on the Red Team's local board track. The track had been in use for a couple of hours so it was ready for the Audi. The Titan TS7 motor is a very quick motor. Plenty of grunt and good brakes. The model set off at a quick pace and after running several laps to get the feel of it I decided to set the race manager to practice and go for a fast lap. The race manager program is set to give a warning sound of your choice when certain functions are achieved and the fastest lap sound was soon echoing out..

Driving harder and harder it got to the stage where the ‘yump’ on the back straight was becoming a problem but pushing on and ignoring the odd deslot I eventually managed to get it to peak at 6.881 seconds. This is a new fastest lap record for the red lane! The model is positively dangerous and with more attention being paid to the front tyres I’m sure there could be a couple more tenths trimmed off the time.

The conversion was quite simple and it was just a case of rounding up the parts from Scalexworld Adelaide. As mentioned, the car is as quick as many and it is now the only model to lap Red lane faster than the all dominant Scalextric IRL and A1’s. I just need to pit it against the Fly Quattro next !!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!