The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

A saviour in the scratchbuild room

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

A saviour in the scratchbuild room

Post by wixwacing »

I have been using the cannisters of Auto AC gas to power my spray gun for some time now and during particular flourishes in activity I have founds myself at the end of a can at critical moments. Not too sure of the solution and its cost I was advised to use a car wheel pumped up to 50 psi. Indeed there are adapters available in the local hobby store just for this purpose!! For those not aware, the little pencil guns need about 40 psi to operate effectively.

I also looked whistfully at some of the 'you beaut' compressors in the local hoby store, starting at nearly $300.00 and getting dearer the further you get into the catalogue!! I had resigned myself to making this purchase when a chance visit to my local 'Repco' (Autostore) brought me face to face with some clever little compressors of quite handy size and capacity. There was a $149.95 price tag on it and being in the trade I made an enquiry into its trade price. To my surprise the price dropped to $119.00 and the kind gent (who I have come to know) looked at me askance and with some deliberation informed me that as it was the last of a discontinued range it could be mine for $99.00!!! That's less than four bottles of AC gas!!!

Needless to say it was in my car boot and away! It has been three months or so in my garage while I have been using up my cans of pressure but today the last can gave out. No problem, the compressor was up and running in five minutes, even down to the adapter to reduce the regulated outlet to spraygun pipe size! No more greenhouse gasses in my garage!

For those interested the specs are
Height                570 mm
Length                550 mm
Drive                 Direct
Motor                 2 hp
Current               Rated at 10a
Max pressure          116 psi
Regulated supply      0 - 160 psi
Tank Capacity         21 lt
Delivery              110 litres per minute

So, a new toy in the play room, and, not only that! Unlike the hobby compressors, with this I can pump the wife's tyres up and do a whole host of other jobs that yearn for a bit of compressed air!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
knoath
Spectator

Re: A saviour in the scratchbuild room

Post by knoath »

I have a similar set up, although I have not yet attatched my gun to begin spraying anything.
My question is:
Do you need a water collector in line before the gun?
If so, what should I buy? What do they cost?

If you have one could I see a pic?

Thanks,
Dick
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: A saviour in the scratchbuild room

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Dick

I don't have a water trap on mine and it works quite well. I am not aware of moisture in the paint when spraying, but I do use Acrylics mostly anyway. If you live in Queensland I would say it should be fine with the exception of the rainiest days, The further south you get, the more inclined the weather is to be damp and possibly the higher the risk of moisture / water in the spray. The reciever should have a drain cock on it too so as long as this is drained regularly in comparison to its useage, you should be allright.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!