A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

FF STYLE TO NC1 CONVERSION

How DO they do that??
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

FF STYLE TO NC1 CONVERSION

Post by Eggmeister »

Gents,

I have a monogram chaparral which has the FF can style of motor. Very fast by all accounts and I want to convert it over to a NC1 motor. My question is can this be done simply.

I thought about using a nc2 adaptor to see if it fits etc.

Has anyone else tried this before.

Regards

Egg
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Re: FF STYLE TO NC1 CONVERSION

Post by paulthetexan »

Howdy Egg

Not straight forward but it looks easy to do .

You'll notice that the motor shaft and axel are not in line like normal slot cars and the crown wheel has tapered teeth on it much like a conventional diff in a real car.
If you are going to keep the standard crown wheel , the existing motor shaft height will be essential to maintain.

Sit the new motor in place to determine wether the mounts are in the right position. If the mounts look close to lining up you might want to get serious . Mark out the shape of an NC1 motor on the chasis and cut out a clearance hole with a Dremel . Once the motor can drop down thru the chasis you will have a better idea if the motor mount points will be usable and then the shaft should line with the existing crown wheel .

A bit of hack work involved but as I mentioned , it all depends on wether you want to retain the origonal crown wheel. May be you can replace it with somthing from the parts bin , scaley or fly ? , but then your removing wheels etc. At least this way you won't have to cut the chasis.

If you want to try a different approach load it up with weight to about 85 - 90 grams and fit a set of MJK Classics

Good luck

Paul
Go hard or Go home
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Re: FF STYLE TO NC1 CONVERSION

Post by Eggmeister »

Thanks Paul,

I had thought about seeing if a ninco chassis fitted and simply replacing the whole chassis with one of these.

I will have a look at it.

Regards

Egg