The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Slot.It controllers. ( a re posted topic from last year)

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Slot.It controllers. ( a re posted topic from last year)

Post by wixwacing »

Slot.it News

I don't usually get involved with things like controllers because to me it has to be a damn good controller that makes up for lack of talent. Slot.it have set the global community alight with its latest offering and no doubt the Professor Motors of this world are now scrambling for their slide rules (a sort of manual analogue computer, kids!).

Now here is a sheep in wolf's clothing! On the outside it looks to be the dogs b*****ks but on closer inspection it reveals another aspect of itself. Let's start with its name. According to the accompanying literature, SCP stands for SeCaPela?? which apparently means 'hairdryer'?

The controller has several functions which can be very useful. Those functions which are dedicated to the control of digital slotcars is comprehensive, if you have a digital layout. If not, you still have to purchase the technology even if you won't have the opportunity to use it.

There are some basic controls too. In actual fact if you look around there are lots of basic controls. Knobs and buttons adorn this little beauty and not only does the turning or pressing of each one have a function, the turning or pressing of a combination of these ALSO has a function. Indeed, it has four knobs, three buttons, two dip switches and a sliding switch! (not to mention a USB port) I suggest that you might need to grow a sixth (or seventh) finger here!!

Lets start with the 'power trim' knob, this act a bit like an F1 'launch control with the exception that it has nothing to do with traction control but merely feeds flat out power (at a start) in on a regulated curve which is variable with this knob. Simply, this means that on a start situation, the lights are green and you have floored it. Instead of ending up with a model sitting sideways on the start, and depending on the setting, it will feed the power in more gently over a short time span allowing you to make better use of available motor speed/tyre grip.

Next is the minimum speed button. This allows you to adjust the controller so the model moves as soon as the trigger is depressed. You may have experienced that some of your models take a longer trigger action to get them rolling. Twiddling this knob will match the model's pull away speed or minimum cornering speed with initial trigger operation.

Then we have the adjustable brake control. This will allow you to alter the intensity of the motors dynamic braking. You will be able to stop your SCX cars slewing sideways into every bend. It also has a 'sweep' setting which, when after the brakes are applied, the controller will slowly reduce dynamic braking allowing the model to roll progressively on after initial braking. This is adjustable to between 0.5secs and 1.7 secs.

Next up is the max speed limiter/curve selector. Simply this. If you have youngsters on the track you can reduce the maximum speed of the model from 100% to a minimum of 60% after another combination of button presses this control will also alter the power curve between minimum and maximum power. i.e. Once your minimum and maximum settings are fixed you can play with the middle of the trigger movement. e.g. You can adjust the amount of power available at half trigger position, either increasing it to give a more snappy response on fast circuits or a reduced response for more accurate control on technical circuits.

The hand brake is just that. You can depress this button at anytime and the model instantly looses power and braking is applied according to the setting on the brake knob!!

Next are the brake overrides, yes you heard right!! The scenario: you have spent a good hour or two setting your brakes up for the track you are racing and now you can over ride them!! The up button can be pressed anytime and the brake setting 'on the next application' will be 100%. The down button overrides the brake knob setting all the time it is held. These also substitute for lane change buttons on digital circuits.

The dip switches and the sliding switch are another nightmare in themselves so we won't go there. You will then need to wire this into your track which could take some extra purchases if you are not confident with low voltage electricity.

Also, there are a couple of apparent problems already. Firstly, the controller has an internal short circuit protection against reverse polarity errors. It will cut power and flash a sequence of led’s to let you know where the fault is. (Don’t forget to take your handbook along to race nights and have it open at the fault code section during racing). It also has a 2.5 amp fuse which is some sort of surge protector. If your model drags its magnet or any other metal part (watch out plafits!!) along the conductor rails, this fuse WILL blow!! You then need to find a small glass type 2.5 amp fuse!!

The second problem is more universal and not necessarily a Slot.it problem. That is, I don't yet see a version for left handed people?? With upwards of 15% of the population being left handed too. With all these knobs and buttons to fiddle with in the course of a race, a left handed person will need to reach over the controller!!

After all this, there is still the bottom line. This isn’t instant talent and is not going to make you a good driver!! It will make a poor driver better (maybe) and it may well find a tenth or two for a good driver, but, if you deslot once! it will undo all the advantages this will generate in the course of an average race. Better to spend time on your style and technique, that will save you seconds! I have raced with and against these fancy contraptions and I have to tell you I love my Parma economies and I would rather spend the extra money on another model or two.

If you regularly come bottom of the pile (or even half way up) you won't improve anything with one of these. They are like walking with crutches. Once they are taken away (like racing at a track where basic controllers are supplied) you will fall in a proverbial heap because someone has taken your crutches away!! Get to know your models and get to know the tracks you race on and don't waste time waffling on race days. Far more important than a slotcar crutch!

In the course of my work I have to design and build special ancillary equipment for a large manufacturer. I have found out over the years that the first idea is never the best or the simplest and is usually flawed. Sorry Mr Slot.it, I think you need to come at this from a different direction.

PS There is a 2 year conditional warranty with this unit. The condition is that you don’t break the seal!!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!