The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Secrets of superglue revealed??

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Secrets of superglue revealed??

Post by wixwacing »

I fully expect I am not alone when I say that many a tube of superglue has been consigned to the rubbish bin well before it was half empty!! I've tried all the tips I have found in magazines and on forums and a host of sources but now, after a good many years being fooled by this dastardly concoction, I think I have the solution.The last two tubes I have used have lasted a considerable time and I have used them down to the last drop, and we are talking more than six months at a time here!! Frustrated at not having glue when I wanted it and throwing away tubes that have been used twice, I decided to study the phenomenon and hopefully come up with a solution.

Note the small gap between the cap and the nozzle

The answer turned up quite accidentally after I had purchased a five pack of glue for Au$2.00. Not expecting a quality product at that price I was prepared to chuck a tube away each month regardless of how many times it was used. One tube I opened had a rough edge on the open end of the cap, the result of poor moulding, and when the cap was tightened there was a bit of a jagged edge sticking out. This I trimmed off with a modeller's knife. After that, I noticed that when I opened the glue there was a flat 'flange' of glue on the nozzle each time I opened it. Each time I used the glue I wiped the end and screwed the cap back on. This tube of glue survived for several months and was only discarded once it was empty!!??

Small flange on the end of the nozzle where the cap now seals it!

The theory as I see it is that the cap does not cover the end of the nozzle when in place, thereby allowing the tube to 'ventilate'. By trimming off about one millimeter I have allowed the cap to seal the end of the nozzle, hence the 'flange' formation when the cap is removed. Also, when I use superglue I never squeeze the glue out in an upwards direction. This very quickly expels the air gap in the tube that the glue needs to stay liquid. I always invert the glue and shake it once to get the liquid into the nozzle. Still holding it upside down, I squeeze out the desired amount. This retains the air pocket in the tube.

The tube 'at rest' between usage

I don't store it in the fridge or under the stairs or in the bottom of the fish tank. It sits on my workbench in the garage summer and winter and survives temperatures from 5C to sometimes as much as 35C. Once finished with, I 'nip' the cap back on and store it vertically in a small drill stand I have, knowing full well that when I go back to it in three or six months time, it will still be fine......and it is!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Roger Miller
Spectator

Re: Secrets of superglue revealed??

Post by Roger Miller »

or you can stick a drawing pin in hole.

I keep it in the fridge.
If you want a slow cure, use it straight from fridge, instead of waiting for room temp [quick cure]

I tried this shockproof gear, didn't seem to make much difference. Ive gone back to the cheap stuff.
Last edited by Roger Miller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Miller
Spectator

Post by Roger Miller »

Howdy,

Ive started back ?? on the tire trail.

I use this glue now. Doesn't set straight away = can manage it.
I cut the end chisel shape to get the glue in between rim and and tire only.

NSR Extreme tire slice.

Last edited by Roger Miller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Miller
Spectator

Post by Roger Miller »

I found this mark on one of my NSR 20 x 12 extreme with air wheel.

I did an autopsy, to find this.

The glue has run in.
Either thru edge where I put it or thru air holes.
so I use UHU, now.