Getting the Flyer to fly!!

How DO they do that??

Getting the Flyer to fly!!

Postby wixwacing » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 6:34 pm

I've had one of the Daytona Prototype models for a little while now and haven't really had an opportunity to use it in anger, but recent events saw me renew my interest in it and so I dragged it out of the cabinet and took it along to my local track. On board it is fine. An extra ten grams evenly spaced either side of the motor saw to that On Scaley track it is a little bit skittish and on hybrid board with magnabraid it was really less than useful. The main problem is that it has two very delicate bar magnets for traction. Both are mounted in the chassis at possibly the lowest point they can be, but neither have the downforce of the Sideways Rileys. Mmmmmmm? what to do? A while back I had bought a slot.it traction magnet for another car and with the cancellation of the event the magnet never got used. Digging it out of the magnet box I wondered if it was feasible t mount it in the Flyer??



Image



After removing the motor and axles I measured the available space between the motor and the rear axle. There was a very real possibility that the magnet would fit in this space. I carefully measured then elongated the two existing holes in the chassis where the original magnet sat. I then offered up the new magnet until it sat snug and neat in the new holes. Next up was fixing it in place. To make sure it was as flush as possible I laid a six inch steel rule underneath the model to which the magnet attached itself. This was going to allow me to handle the magnet in place. To make sure the magnet didn't protrude through the bottom of the model I used two hobby clamps to hold the steel rule in place. I then used full strength epoxy and applied it to the top side of the magnet with a plastic stick until I was happy there was enough. I then propped the chassis at an angle to ensure the epoxy would flow into the right spots before curing and not in any other direction. Once dried it was time to refit the automotive parts and then perform a test run.



Image



Once refitted it was obvious that the magnet was just fouling the contrate. A few minutes running with the top off and a sharp knife used as a scraper on the spinning contrate soon had the edge of the contrate scraped back to a healthy clearance. Lastly I gave the contrate some running in with Tamiya fine polish compound and lastly, it was washed off and lubed with Vaseline. At the track there was now more than adequate traction and not too much that it might become bogged down. The tyres were trued on the axle and after several minutes running it was apparent the model had become transformed by this piece of handy work. Next step is a race meeting, Rolex DP's anybody??


Image


Before you ask, yes I know it has a Ninco motor, the original was too fast for the classes raced.
Image

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
User avatar
wixwacing
Marshal!!!
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:22 pm

Return to Technical Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Untitled Document
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

















































































































































Image hosted by Photobucket.com