The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Are we asking too much?

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Are we asking too much?

Post by wixwacing »

In light of my McLaren M20 motor pinion loosing grip I ask myself. Are we asking too much from some parts of our models. The motor shaft is very small (1.5 m.m. if I'm not mistaken) and the pinion is an eight tooth nylon gear. Under normal operating conditions I suspect Carrera have done their homework and decided that that was enough for a reliable model. But I notice the Carrera motor shafts aren't splined like some other makes? Consequently, when we start abusing models, this is when things let go. Abusing??!! How do you mean Phil? Let's look at it in this light.

Some few years ago there was a manufacturer called MG Vanquish who made some very special slotcars. Their claim to novelty was the fact that they had created what might well have been the first mass produced differential for slotcars. and it worked!!! But it wasn't long before the detractors started crying foul as one diff. after another let go. And how did this happen. It is my view that the fineness and material of the differential were OK for their designed operation, but as soon as people started sanding back tyres 'on the model' I suspect the design limit of these parts were exceeded, and the tiny planet gears would strip!

The Carrera McLaren comes with some big rubber on the back and for most that is fine. If you are a club racer then you might look for a little extra in the tyre department?! In my case I put some urethane tyres on the rear because the rubber was having trouble hooking up with painted board surfaces at a competitive level. Once the urthanes were fitted they then had to be trued. Well, not being in possession of one of those fabulous tyre truing gizmos, I, Like a few thousand others decided to sand the tyres level using a good old fashioned piece of emery paper and holding the model over it on the track. Using track power and the motor to do all the work.

I suspect this is where the damage was done. I think it was asking to much of the pinion/motor fit to not be affected by several minutes rear tyre sanding. The tiny motor shaft and pinion have finally parted company. So what is the solution Mmmmmmmm? One thing's for sure. Any further tyre sanding on these types of motors needs to be approached with extreme caution.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!