The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Infra red sensor

How DO they do that??
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Infra red sensor

Post by wixwacing »

For those of us who have been making race management program interfaces I have some good news. Until now we have been using Dick Smith's Z1951 infrared sensor. The great thing about this little doo-hickie is that it came in a 3.0 mm package which meant it was the ideal sensor for the ideal position......in the slot!!! But, with the advent of DS pulling out of the home electronics market, the supply has dried up!! This itself hasn't been a big deal to me as I think I have made just about every relay set in the South East (only jokin') It certainly feels like it. But, in fostering a new bunch of racers on the southside of Brisbane I couldn't help volunteering to make a track sensor loom, only to find my stock of Z1951's was down to 2 ??? Not good for a four lane track, so, I spent a little time researching the problem and on the third evening of my researches I discovered that a major electronics component manufacturer still produces the self same IR phototransistor, right down to the pale blue epoxy case!! All the specs check out exactly and for all intents and purposes it is the self same RI phototransistor that DS sold!! Whoopee! What is it Mmmmmmmmm, should I tell or should I corner the market and charge exorbitantly high prices for the information. Your lucky, for the good and betterment of slotracing in general I am prepared to reveal its identity. It is the Sharp PT 381. don't say I didn't tell you, all you have to do now is find them, I have! Mmmmmmmm?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!