The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Removing wheels

How DO they do that??
chuckjoyce
Spectator

Removing wheels

Post by chuckjoyce »

Revell Monogram Nascar.. what is the best way to remove a rear wheel from the axle and how to put it back on?
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Removing wheels

Post by kenneth »

remove by twisting, put back on - glue.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Chuck,

Just to elaborate, I suspect these are on knurled axles. What I would do is bring a small pot of water to the boil and hold the wheel to be removed in the boiling/simmering water for about thirty seconds. With a cloth in each hand, apply a light back and forward rotational action while pulling at the wheel at the same time. The wheel should work loose after several twists.

As for putting it back, apply superglue (cyno-acrylate) to the sides of the axle shaft and refit the wheel with the same twisting motion. If you haven't used super glue before I suggest you have three or four dummy runs before applying the glue. Note also I said the sides of the axle. If you apply glue to the hub or the end of the axle, there is a chance the glue will form a hydraulic lock which will prevent you getting the wheel fully on. It will then dry out causing all sorts of problems.

Another solution is to mix and apply some epoxy resin. It takes longer to cure but this gives you a much longer handling time, but I personally dont think it has a strong enough bond without taking other measures.

Good luck

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
littleshark
Spectator

Post by littleshark »

This is my first post here, so hope not stating the obvious. When gluing wheels back on , I found that a cushion of air often prevented the wheel from going on to the axle. To overcome this. I picked out the smallest drill I could find and drilled a hole through the middle of the wheel, which is easier from the inside. Now when you push the axle on to the wheel air and maybe a tiny bit of glue is pushed through the hole. After doing this, you will be very unlucky if you can see the hole.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Another plausible fix littleshark, I recommend if you are doing it this way to use a 1/16th drill bit in a pin vice if you have one. I also suggest that if you are not in a hurry, remove the offending axle to do the repair, why's this? Trust me, if you get glue into the axle bearing you are going to have to strip it out and dismantle it to remove the glue!!

If you are at a race meeting there often isn't time to remove an axle, strip and reglue and reinstall, If you are gluing a wheel on the run, the best bet is to oil or grease the axle bush well before sliding the wheel back on the shaft, it should prevent excess glue taking hold.

If you are having issues with a model in particular I recommend to replace the axle with similar alloy wheels and insert, this fix is pretty final.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!